Help with username registration
Updated: April 23, 2020
The username I want is taken
If you try to select a username and see that it has already been claimed, you will need to select a different one. Remember the following:
- You can list your real name in your profile to provide more information to your followers.
- Adding underscores before or after your desired username will help you claim a unique username on Short Stories.
Example: if you would like the username lindsay but it has been claimed, consider selecting a name like lindsay_ or _lindsay.
I see an error message when I try to select my username, but I don’t think it’s taken
Here are the possible reasons why you would be unable to claim a username that seems available:
- Usernames containing the words Short Stories or Admin cannot be claimed. No account names can contain Short Stories or Admin unless they are official Short Stories accounts.
- Your username must be at least 5 characters long.
- Your username cannot be longer than 15 characters. Your name can be longer (50 characters), but usernames are kept shorter for the sake of ease.
- A username can only contain alphanumeric characters(letters A-Z, numbers 0-9) with the exception of underscores and periods, as noted above. Check to make sure your desired username doesn't contain any symbols, dashes, or spaces.
- A username can't have 2 or more periods consecutively.
- A username can't start for finish with a period.
- The username may be claimed by a suspended or deactivated account. Suspended and deactivated usernames are not immediately available for use, so you’ll need to select a different username.
Can I get an inactive username?
Unfortunately, we cannot release inactive usernames at this time. Please read our inactive account policy for more detailed information.